Tuesday 30 November 2010

The Dales, Vets Pet Portraits, Knit and Stitch and Huddersfield

On Friday after work, Mike and I braved the weather and went up to the Dales. Over night it snowed and Saturday was a beautiful sunny morning with blue skies and gorgeous winter setting- certainly a source of great inspitation. We decided to come home early in case the weather took a turn for the worse. On the way back, I wrote a list of all the people who might be able to help me with referrals for my soon to be fledgling business (one of Dougie's ideas). I'd been set the task of thinking of 100 people - thought I'd be only able to think of about 12 but it turned out to be remarkably easy- so one thing ticked off my v long list of things to do when attempting to become a textile artist! I'm pleased we came back when we did as my very handsome guinea pig Boris needed to be taken to see his favourite vet Uncle Peter for a check up and a repeat prescription.

I took my pet portrait into my friend's John's gallery in Barnsley http://www.jkwood.co.uk/ for framing and also for an image for a print to be taken. Can't wait for the call to say it is ready for collection!  I would post a picture, but I've not quite got the hang of that yet! Its applique on a calico background and I am rather pleased with how its turned out.

I've also been trying to get some pictures of the guinea pigs for my next pet portrait project, but Boris, Smudge and Flo in particular are a litte camera shy. Photographs to follow post technical break through.

On Sunday 50 ladies set off from Barnsley to the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate. I hadn't been for a couple of years and I was really impressed by the exhibitions. I particularly liked the work of Janet Browne http://www.janetbrownetextiles.com/ and bought an oyster catcher (an applique one!) from her. I also bought a small picture from Tania Sneesby http://www.taniasneesby.blogspot.com/. I would like to be Tania when I've grown up artistically! I also really loved the exhibiton of  the work of Julia Caprara
 http://www.jctextilearts.com/about/julia-caprara/ just wonderful stuff. I love the bright colours and the richness of her work- definitely something to aspire to. Well the snow came down whilst we were enjoying Harrogate. Everything came to a stand still and we arrived back in Barnsley 5 hours after we were due to set off from Harrogate- all part of the adventure!

This morning Mike registered me for a website too! Nothing on it yet  but give me time! http://www.textilecraft.co.uk/. Its free to set up to encourage businesses to get on line. Worth a  look at http://www.gbbo.co.uk/.

And finally..... I have worked out how the UCAS website works and have accepted my unconditional place at Huddersfield University for Textile Crafts starting in Sept 2011. I continue to do excited v well indeed!

1 comment:

  1. congrats on your unconditional at Huddersfield, I'm currently a second year on the course, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me : u0960605@unimail.hud.ac.uk, Jess x

    ReplyDelete