Saturday 29 October 2011

Week 5 Best versus best in time available

Its been another hectic week at uni. On Tuesday, we were introduced to the Trend Hub in the Uni Library- lots of amazing trade magazines I've never heard of before, which predict the trends in textiles/fashion/homeware for the year ahead. We also had a look at a mill archive, which was given to the  uni for students to use in their studies- amazing wallpaper and fabric designs from the 60's and 70's - below is one of the designs and the design fabric.



Wednesday was the last week of the embroidery rotation. I have discovered that the samples I am producing are in fact more akin to finished work and that I don't really know what a sample is! I've been trying to do my best with every piece of work instead of the best I can in the time I have available.  The sample immediately below is not indeed a sample but a more or less finished piece of work. The sample below that is not complex enough- so I need to find a happy medium!


Thursday I spent sorting out my Visual Studies and Contextualising Craft Practice tasks for the week! This involved copying two of the designs from the Trend Hub archive with acrylics and oil pastels and changing the colour way. The Contextualising Craft Practice exercise was to 'Walk the Line' -  a bit of psycho-geography, where I chose an area to study and considered its buildings, people, traffic, textures, scale, sounds and smells and then write a short piece on the experience. For those of you who know Barnsley, I walked around Town End Roundabout! It was more interesting than it has ever been before!

Friday was rug tufting day. We based the design on the group drawing exercise we did and will need to finish the rug as far as we can by Thursday so I'll post a photo of the result next weekend.

I've been working on the craft fair today. Here are a couple of the pictures I've produced for it.



Tomorrow's a university day - lots to do to try and keep up. I'm definitely getting value for money!



1 comment:

  1. Your Scottie dog stitches are excellent, Lynne, and as for "Shopping? Me?" card, well!!! What can one say?!
    So what's the difference between a Sample and the Finished article, then? Surely if you were taking a Sample to a potential customer they'd want to see the finished article? Or am I being too literal?! (Don't answer that!)
    Paul
    xx

    ReplyDelete