Sunday 23 October 2011

Week 4: An interesting response to my sculpture

Tuesday saw the unveiling of my sculpture in the visual studies work shop. It made people laugh- I guess it is a bit mad, but I really like it! I spent most of the afternoon drawing it in different styles, but then we had to swap and draw other students' sculptures. The student who had mine to draw declared that it made her head hurt!

On Wednesday morning we learnt about how to create structure using different materials: holland linen, downproof cotton, silk organza and cotton organdie. In the afternoon, we put the techniques we had learnt into practice. As all the fabrics were either white or neutral, I used white thread, so that I didn't distract from the qualities of the fabrics, but it was a struggle. I do enjoy a bit of colour (which can make others heads hurt!). I need to crack on with my embroidery samples, but the contextualising craft practice and visual studies work seems to take up most of my time. I need to re-prioritise I think as the embroidery module (together with knit, weave and print) has the highest number of credits.

Wednesday evening was a most enjoyable time as I went to a Barnsley Creative Embroiderers (Optional) Dyeing workshop run by Hazel Williams It was enjoyed by all who participated. Above is the result of my efforts. Fantastic bright colours - so thank you Hazel.

On Saturday, I made a last minute dash with friend in tow to the Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair. Its quite a small event in Manchester, but with some interesting exhibitors who I am sure will inform my degree work. Today has been spent on Visual Studies work- not embroidery samples again! There will be some through the night stitching going on at some point - I can see it coming!


No comments:

Post a Comment