Sunday 9 October 2011

Week 2: I feel better!

So, I am still feeling old, but I guess I need to stick that in my pipe and smoke it! But, I am feeling better, but slightly overawed about the amount of time that will be needed to keep up. It feels like more than a full time course at the moment- maybe that will improve as I speed up when I know how everything works.


On Monday, we had the usual Contextual Studies lecture, where a number of tasks were set, including looking up words/phases we didn't know. I now know what situationism is! We were learning how to reference text and images correctly and looking at how to take notes from text. 


On Tuesday, we met some of the second year students, who will help us with any questions we have - like knowing whether we put stuff in our sketch books, visual diaries, independent learning journals  or technical files. They are going to bring in some of their stuff this week, which will help mightily as on Tuesday I didn't know what I was doing. On Tuesday afternoon we had our visual studies workshop- where we explore different ways of mark making/different drawing styles. We were asked to create large wall drawings, working from the images we'd developed from our trip to the Hepworth, moving from group to group applying our given drawing style to the different pictures. The results were really interesting and displayed a lot of energy! My group's initial drawing is shown above. It was a really enjoyable workshop.


On Wednesday morning, we were shown some basic embroidery stitches - running, back, cross, seed stitches and french knots. In the afternoon, we were asked to use these stitches to interpret some of the images we were developing. I am quietly pleased with what I've done so far, but wished I had some more time to put to it.


On Friday, we had an introduction to some basic crochet stitches - we got as far as double crochet and trebles. I helped out with the left handed students as I remember what a struggle it was for me to learn as a wee girl. Whilst it would have been good to motor on and get my samples made, its reassuring to know that we start from scratch on all things, as I can't knit or weave at all. Knitting was always a struggle because of the left handed thing, but we'll see- lots of people can do it!


Friday afternoon came the mammoth, mega email about visual studies. It has taken me all weekend to get the work required done ready for Tuesday. I am going to have to review what I'm doing- we shall see what the rest of the group has produced on Tuesday!


Overall, I feel like I'm beginning to settle in and know what goes where and I'm enjoying the craft parts very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment